Poly

The poly lacks only one thing. It needs a serious et of aftermarket heads. Someone need to cut one apart . Ad the necessary materila to allow more agressive porting wile still maintaing a good port shape and then hire a foundry man to make new cores using the reowked head and cast some nice shiny new ones with bigger orstrOtherwise it si a perfect engine and can make really good power with some mild porting.
If you guys love those enginesas much as you say then do it.
Yourselves.  do not over compolicate it   In other words dont ask a group f over educated undernourished folk if you can do it. Just do it. and do it again till you get it right.
While i like these engines I I am not in love so to speak or passionate enh about them. some of you are.  the top of the intake port is thin ner than need be in acopule fo spots easily visable in th cutaways Gary Poly hisself has.  The water pasaage above the port atthe intake face needs to ne reduced at that port so the port van be dramaticaly raised. The shape of the vale bowl am nd the absense of abrubtturns is waht makes flow. Not necessrly hige size andpolish but the absese of turns more than 7 degrees.
If you could get flow to250 you could make up to 550. If you got 300 , 660hp.
It is very doable. and somebody will one day. first thing i to cut a head abart lengthwise at the parting line since that is how it was put together inthe first palce. That can be done at a waterjet facilty or with a band saw oof some enterpizing ambitious person could probaly do it wih a handful of baleds and a reciprocating saw.
You dont need a new engine. there is nothng wrong with thepoly. U It just needs a bit more flow.
My first adsecondracecars were Polys BTW.
Now sow might saywhy dont you f do it for us Don?
Becaue i have projects of my own. A dragster that wnat finishing but I am constantly being asked to look art this and thatso it is still not done (BUT CLOSE!!!!) and my 63 sat apart for months . I finally put an end to it all.  I am running out of tomorrows . Bu if your sr erious and if you really want to make a killler poly then someone has to do it. first thing is cut a head apart atthe oparting line and so far no has done it yet . I hope sme one gets mad enough to do it. he areas that need meat are obvious in the cutaway picures.
The BB chevy and the Clevland and the 429/460 are stolen technology from the old Poly. Time one of you poly guys stole it back.
Don
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)