UK Polara update

Havent posted much recently as I've been waiting to have some news to
post.
Getting somewhere, at last, with renewing some of the interior and the
exhaust system.

First we fitted 3 sets of Julianos lap belts in the rear & replaced the
front ones that we were told were 64 vintage when we bought the car.
They're not an exact match for the ones we've replaced but they look
pretty good and weren't too expensive. May get the originals refurbished
by SsnakeOyl and see if they can supply the same for the rear, but that
can wait.

Got the Legendary seat covers fitted, despite not being convinced that
the stitching is the right color. They said the white stitching in our
original covers would have been red when new, and has faded over the
years from exposure to sunlight. But once the old covers had been
removed, we saw that all the stiching on the inside was the same color
as that on the outside. But we werent about to send them back for a
refund and look for another manufacturer with better research, so we
went ahead and got them fitted.
Once fitted, the upholsterer told us the fronts were pretty tight, and
found there was 2" less material in the seat back cover than on the
orignals. They're on though, just hope the stitching holds out.
And once we'd put the rear seats back in the car, we saw that they were
actually quite loose and could have done with more padding or less
material. We've passed them back to the upholsterer who said he'd try
more foam, or if that doesnt work, will remove some material and
restitch. Bit like a tummy-tuck I suppose :)

Once we'd got some more windlace trim from Kramers to supplement what
Laysons originally (short) supplied, we got onto the door panels we had
refurbed by SMS. The rears went on fine, but with the front (door)
panels fitted, there was no way the doors would shut.
We knew to expect them to be a bit tight with new weatherstrip/windlace
etc, but after a quick measure-up, we found the new panels to be about
1/4" longer than the old :(
Only option really was to peel back the vinyl, trim the door card back
and reglue the vinyl, which we've already done to one panel.

And while the back seats are out (so we can attach new brackets etc),
we've made a start fitting the TTI system we bought last summer. The old
system was a bit of a home-made job, looked ok at first glance, but
welded from from to rear and welded to the hangers - bit of a pig to
remove. Still got to grind/chisel/remove the hangers that have been
welded to the rear frame rails next to the petrol, sorry, gas tank, then
attach the new bracket up above the axle. That's the plan for tomorrow
(Sunday).

And finally.... (still awake out there?!), I collected the instrument
cluster today from our post office depot, that AutoInstruments have
redone for us, after I returned their 1st attempt that had the wrong
combination of paint & chrome. This one looks spot on. I'll get some
pics tomorrow in the daylight.

For now though, here's some of the interior.....

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/rob426uk/Polara%20interior/

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had trouble with SMS panels
fitting? Seems like some vendors of parts for these older Mopars have
trouble with getting reliable info/samples to use to make sure their
products are right for every application.... unless some of the
originals varied in size/spec?

Robert
England

----