RE: Synthetic Motor Oil

Bill,

I'll share 2 replies containing the most common answer. Keep in mind I
have not yet contacted Racer Brown for their opinion.

"With motors of today only use oils with ZDDP on the label. IE: VR1
Racing by Valvoline etc. Synthetics don't have this lubricant included.
Solid lifter motors are even more sensative to this. A Tech Bullitin was
out March 2006 from the AERA Engine Rebuilders Assoc. stating use
Rotella T, Delvac and Delvo 400."

Vintage Truck magazine August 2007 talks about the lack of additives in
motor oils. "The amount of Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate (ZDDP) was
reduced at the request of the vehicle manufactures as it contributes to
the premature failure of oxygen sensors and catalytic converters.

In the 1980's a lot of the heavey metal inhibitors were reduced to meet
emission standards, and at the time almost all of the ZDDP was removed
though some was kept, now with this small amount removed it is all but
non existant in most motor oils.

What does this mean to us? ZDDP is part of the lubrication properties
that ride on the top of the flat tappet and coat the cam. Removal of
this additive means that you run the risk of washing out your cam lobes.

At this point the only oils that still have ZDDP are ones that carry the
API CI-4/SL(CI-4 Plus) and are usually called diesel engine oils.
Gasoline engine oils with the API category API SM and GF-4 have reduced
ZDDP and could harm flat tappet engines."

This is more than enough information to just tell one to call your cam
maker and do what they say.

Nick Tiberio
Bill Maurits wrote:

> Any chance of sharing said articles? I never really got an answer to
> my question about that.
>
> Bill M
> 65 Coronet 500 'vert
>
> On 7/8/07, Nick Tiberio <furyus63@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks to all who gave comment on this question. I've found several
> > articles since then about newer motor oils and possible harm to flat
> > tappet camshafts.
> >
> > My new engine is running a Racer Brown ST-14. It's been broken in on the
> > dyno and I'll be sure to ask both Racer Brown and my engine builder how
> > to keep it healthy.
> >
> > Nick Tiberio
> > 63 Fury
> > furyus63@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >

> > ----
> > Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person --
> > directly to that person.  I.e., send parts/car transactions and
> > negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended
> > recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will
> > protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the
> > content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!
> >
> > '62 to '65 Mopar Clubhouse Discussion Guidelines:
> > http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/mletiq.html.

furyus63

----