To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:25 AM
Subject: RE: Chrome repair kit?

I have done this several times, and each time I learned more about restoring

trim. Most grills are anodized. Take them to a chrome shop an have the
anodizing
removed before you start. A piece of hard rubber mat is a good material to
use
for backing when dinging. Like bill said, you can make dollies from hard
wood
to fit the shape of your specific contour. Eastwood has a nice trim dinging
hammer.
The key is to take your time. There is an old book by Fairmont that explains
how
to approach dinging. Understanding on dolly and off dolly and how it effects

metal shrinking and stretching is very important. Very small dings, like
rock dings
can be sanded out. Starting with 400, then 800, then 1500, and finish with
2000.
Now your ready to polish. I have three weeks of my life into my Belve grill.
But the
end results are worth it. After I polish the grill, or trim, I never
re-anodize, very
easy to keep polished.

Earl

I made my own tools out of some oak scaps Bill...took a quarter by 1 inch
strip and ground it down to a screwdriver-type blade and used it to tap out
the dings in the C rings from my 64 Polara..used a folded up shop towel on
my workbench to beat on, then sanded and polished them.
The dings were invisible when I was done...I was surprised they turned out
that good.
Bill Maurits wrote:

Anyone know of a kit or set of tools or book or video that I could use
to FIX the chrome on my 65 Coronet? I'm not even looking to buff it
yet, I just want to straighten it. So I'm looking for some small wood
paddles, or special sandbag, something along that line I guess...I
don't know.

The lady that owned this car parked by feel a number of times, so the
trim needs some massaging, and I'd rather not spend hundreds or
thousands on a shop to "restore" it. Any thoughts?

Bill M
65 Coronet 500 'vert

Jeff Adams
64 Polara

----
directly to that person. I.e., send parts/car transactions and negotiations
topic.  Thanks!

----

----