Trans cable update

Hi again
Just wanted to let you know our trans cable/pushbutton woes came to a successful conclusion last weekend.
Some of you may recall we had to return the cable that was made for us because they made the inner cable about 3/16" too short compared to the length of the outer. We asked for the cable assembly to be 8" longer than the original to give more clearance around the exhaust, which worked a treat; just a shame they didn't increase both the inner & outer by the same amount.
Well, that 3/16" was what was stopping us selecting all gears, as now the replacement is fitted it went together fine and all gears are easy to select. I couldn't have dreamed the cable would make the push button selection as easy as it now is!

The neutral safety switch we scrounged off a friend works fine too. The switch that was in there must have been fitted just to plug the hole, as it was too short to make contact with anything. We run a temporary wire (blue - all we had!) from the starter relay down to the switch, just to see if it works. And it did. We'll replace it with black (or correct brown color?) wire as soon as we can. Not sure how it should be routed though. Best route to avoid the exhaust we found was to run it almost vertically down the bulkhead to the switch.

Gary, I'll sort out the pics I have that might be of use on the site for a bit of trans cable tech! Just wish I could have got a picture of the ball in the 'rooster comb' detents. Maybe with 3 hands it would be possible, but it's hard enough to see it holding a small mirror and maglite torch, let alone try and take a picture at the same time!

Used the car for the 1st time this year last Wednesday for our Mopar club's local monthly meet, a quiet affair with just our car, a Sox & Martin 'replica' Barracuda, a 68 Charger and a Rumble Bee. Not much to write home about but certainly brightened up the pub car park! Should be a bit lighter around 8pm next month so should get a better turn out and will get some pics.

Back to the other problems now, that we were going to sort out before the cable got so bad. Bad vibrations at highway speeds (50-60) and a speedo/cable problem that wont seem to go away, are top of the list. We unplugged the speedo cable at the speedo end when we got to the pub on Wednesday as it was so bad on the way there, we thought the dash was going to explode cartoon-style, showering us with springs and gears! The cable company that did our trans cable said the speedo cable is fine, so we think it must be a problem at the speedo connection. There's enough noise coming from behind the dash to back that up - I presume we wouldn't hear anything if it were down at the trans end.

So thanks to all that offered great advice on this over the last couple of months. I know it's only a little job (in the scheme of things) but when you haven't done it before, it seems so much more daunting.

Robert
Globally-warmed England

----