RE: torque (a bit off topic)

As a former service manual writer, I can personally relate to Don's
comments.  It was not unusual, while pestering busy engineers for
service information (tough job, as we were definitely considered to be
the bottom-feeders), to receive a "whatever it was last year" answer to
many questions.

Dated and obsolete writer's style guides forced some silliness, as well,
like having to note the torque specs for everything, including
ridiculous things like instrument cluster screws.

The kind of folks we could pay (or couldn't pay) to write the manuals
led to issues, as well.  We went through quite a turnover trying to find
folks that could a) work on cars, and b) write well.  No offense meant,
but not an easy-to-find combination.

It was a lot of fun, though.  I remember having a co-worker block the
view of a security guard in the lobby of Buick City HQ while I crawled
under the car and disassembled the fascia with tools I had stuffed into
my pants.  And another time opening up the trunk of a pilot car in the
LTG garage, only to find one of the maintenance guys sleeping one off in
the trunk.  Apologies, I could go on and on ...

Jim Jablonski
Royal Oak, Michigan
'64 Fury

----