Re: re;instument lights

[AD removed for archives]
caaeatrbOyW3Na/PC PowerScan

On the 1962 Plymouth, there will be three wires from the fuse for the
instrument lights, the fuse marked "INST 2A".   They connect at the back of
the box..

On one end will be a single 18-gauge tan wire than runs to the INST
connector on the headlamp switch.  This is the source of power for the
instrument lights.

On the other end there will be two wires -

1) An 18-gauge orange wire that runs to the radio for the dial lamp.

2) An 18-gauge orange wire that runs up in behind the instrument panel to a
junction with five other wires running from it.   All five wires are
18-gauge orange that run to an instrument panel bulb.   The junction is
probably tied up with the bundle of wires that run behind the instrument
panel.

Although the single connector to the instrument panel circuit board was
introduced on the 1962 Valiant and Lancer, it did not appear on the Plymouth
and Dodge until the 1963 model year.

Thus the 1962 Plymouth, and Dodge Dart/Polara, circuit for the instrument
lights is simple and straight forward.   Unlike later models, the brake
lights were not wired through the instrument lights.  Instead the brake
lights and interior dome lights were together on a separate circuit.

The side of the fuse box with the instrument lights, brake lights, dome
light, park and tail lights, cigar lighter and clock are all 'hot'.  That
is, power runs through that side regardless of whether the igntion in turned
to ACC, OFF, ON, or START.

The other side, though, with the accessories, A/C, heater, radio, and backup
lamps is wired through the ignition switch and power is there only when the
ignition switch is at ACC or ON.   No power runs through those circuits when
the ignition switch is at OFF or START.

Bill
Vancouver, BC