RE: sure grip for 63?

[AD removed for archives]
Take our Nationwide Ice Cream Survey today! Receive a FREE* $100
Restaurant Gift Card of your choice or $100 worth of Ben &
Jerry?s® or Häagen-Dazs® ice cream for participating!
caad3P6bOyW3Na/Ice Cream Research Survey

Don, According to that article Dave is right but I haven't tried to
change my center section yet. I have a 742 Sure Grip from a 67 Imperial
that I want to put in my 63 Fury. Here's some more of the quote from
that section of the article:

Section 1: Thrust Block Variations
There was a difference in thrust blocks prior to 1964 that make center
section interchange, as well as axle interchange problematic. The thrust
block, or "axle shaft thrust spacer", it thr block that both left and
right axles butt up against inside the center of the differential. Prior
to 1964, all open differentials used a thrust block was approximately
1/8" to 1/4" thicker than units made after 1964. The Sure Grip thrust
block prior to 1964, however, was indentical to all 1964 and later Sure
Grips and open differentials. In 1964, the thrust block width was
changed to match the Sure Grip thrust block width.

This difference in thrust blocks between Sure Grip differentials and
open differentials required that two different axles be produced for
each 8-3/4" housing manufactured. This is true of all 1959-1963 cars
with 8-3/4"s.

I've always found the info in this article to be correct but as we've
all learned "Never say never with Mopar" BTW This article is well worth
printing out and saving. Tons of good info on 8 3/4 rear ends, even the
older ones. Here's the link again: Dan

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/8_75.html

Dave Casey wrote:

> Don -
>
>     If the axles came from a sure grip car, then they are already the
> correct length. At some point the thrust block thickness of the open
> carrier
> was changed to that of the sure grip carrier. I personally have never
> seen
> the difference for myself, but I haven't messed with any pre-64 sure
> grips
> rears either.
>
> Dave Casey

[AD removed for archives]
Oprah vs Dr. Phil- who is your favorite? Vote now.
caad6r9bOyW3Nf/Your opinion

----

bOyW3N.