Garys

[AD removed for archives]
Oprah vs Dr. Phil- who is your favorite? Vote now.
caad6r9bOyW3Na/Your opinion

Gary P thanks for the affirmation, now all I need is the gold and the time
Gary H
Way back in the dark ages I had a 63 Dodge post car running with a 426 Hemi (12.5 Erson cam Dana etc etc)
About this time the rack and pinion craze started. I believe Sox and Martin had one on their Pro Stock Cuda. I decided to put one on my 63 Dodge . (Car is on my website ithink maybe under PICs  if I remember right.
Having worked at a Ford Dealer and having done a lot of wheel alignments there I knew the 71 Pinto had a good rack and even better had a flexible steering shaft like a oversized speedo cable.
I mounted  the pinto Rack in the 63. had a lot of trouble getting tow out on turns right or even close since to put the rack in those cars you have to reverse  the front steering arms. You have to put them ahead rather than behind.
Since when a car is designed the steering arms are made so that a line drawn from the rear diff pinion to the bottom steering pivot (Lower ball joint in this case) will pass through the centre of the tie rod ends on the steering arms.
Doing this automatically gives the correct geometry for toe out on turns. (I just did it this week when building my slant six dargster steering arms. )
When you reverse the stock setup it  doesnt pan out too good. so you get a car that is fine for drag racing but not practical for street driving.
Funny you ask that question because I was sitting in the shop tues night wondering why I ever tried it and thinking that really the stock steering was a real good set up , caused no trouble and in reality the whole deal was not worth the little bit of weight I lost.
That was my experience for what it is worth.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
Need a new Cell Phone? A BlackBerry 7250 could be yours free! Find
out how!
caad32RbOyW3Nf/Amazing phone

----

bOyW3N.