Re: Sad day for the mopar world.

[AD removed for archives]
Did president Bush react quickly enough to hurricane Katrina?
caad0PSbOyW3Na/Nationwide Survey

On 40 09/26/05, Ben Jr. Morgan wrote:

>Well, The Beast was wrecked today in the high school parking lot where
>I always figured it'd get it. I was pulling into a parking spot to my
>right and a truck that was stopped past the parking spot going the same
>way I was backed into me with excessive speed. The right front fender,
>hood, grill and everything but the bumper are all gone and mangled. The
>driver's door does not open, and I had to pull the fender out of my tire
>to drive it home. Needless to say I'm suspended for what I did to the
>driver of the other vehicle and my foot is nice and bruised from kicking
>his truck for being an utter hick.
>
>I got an estimate at $1653.95 for repairs, the frame is not bent. There
>is talk of totaling the car, though it is fixable. Any suggestions as to
>preventing this please come forward, I'm not gonna get much for it if I
>total it and buy it back. Thanks for any support, I love my car.Get more
>from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

dealing with Insurance Companies and old car adjustments:

1. If an owner describes the car as a restoration or a restored classic,
the low end blue-book figures do not apply.  It is widely accepted by
Insurance companies that Krause's Old Car Price Guide which assigns
a value for a #4, #3, #2, and a #1 classic car is starting point for
assessing a value to an old car.  Most drivers are strong #3's.
On the other hand, if a driver describes the car as an old daily
driver, the Insurance company is going to start at $400-500.

2. receipts for engine work and go fast goodies are important, but if
your intention is to keep the car, be mindful that as you increase
the value of the engine, you will also increase the salvage value.
So, money that Ben stands to pocket would be 'vehicle value' - 'salvage
value'.    By all means, include all receipts, but since the engine wasn't
damaged, you also want to pay close attention and make sure that the
overall value of the vehicle is assessed rather high.  body work, paint,
and like are good places to boost this.  If you purchased, say, an
expensive grille or bumper at a swap meet, or perhaps from a friend
that would be willing to replace the receipt that you lost, these
things, will help show that you havd a considerable investment in,
not just the engine, but also in the car..

3. use the "completed auctions" area of ebay to find cars in similar
condition  (here is where high price E-body stuff pays back to the
hobby!!) and Hemmings & autotrader on-line vehicle advertisements.
print all this stuff out.

4. Check your state laws, you are mostlikely entitled to a rental car.
even if you have other vehicles, get the rental.  as the insurance
company starts racking up $50-60/day,  they will want to move faster on
your settlement.

5. Don't let them try to assign a salvage title to the car.   I dealt
with State Farm once,  my car was totaled, I kept the remains, and asked
that they not send the DMV a salvage letter.  They did not.

6. you are in the driver's seat.  they may try to intimidate you,
especially since you are young.  until you sign the back of the
adjustment check, they are not off the hook.

You have trouble convincing them that your car is worth $3200 or more
(which would easier avoid a total loss for a $1600 repair), let
us know...

[AD removed for archives]
Buying or Selling a Home? Get the Facts Before Buying or Selling!
Get a FREE Home Valuation TODAY!
caadV2pbOyW3Nf/Home Valuation

----

bOyW3N.