Dash removal?

I've managed to round up the parts to install wipers on my 65
Belvedere; thanks to all who offered parts.  I have two questions:

1. The holes on the cowl were mudded over and painted.  I'm thinking
I'll drill out from underneath, and dremel away from the top what I
need to.  Reasonable plan?  I've never worked with Bondo (at least I'm
guessing it's Bondo).

2. I need to install the pivot arm and motor.  Is it easier to try to
drop down the dash, or try to finagle it in from underneath?  If
dropping the dash, are there any gotchas to be aware of?

Thanks.

- Jim
Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY
'63 Polara 500 (Max Wedge), '65 Belvedere I (Street Wedge), '71 Bronco