RE: 1980 440 and transmission- Balance

[AD removed for archives]
Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
caacVmdb7yoMza/PermissionData

Not to start an arguement, but I have had a total of 4 trucks with big
blocks sporting steel cranks from the 70's. All were internally
balanced, 3 of which were pulled apart and verified to have steel
cranks. Of the pick ups, all were big block, sitck shift (NP435
trans)3/4 ton 4X4's. Two 400's and one 440. The aforementioned Motorhome
was an automatic 440.

The 440 motor from the pick up was a 74 vintage, so it really didnt
spark any odd feelings. I figured it was a left over. The two 400
powered trucks were  a 77 and a 78. I always wondered since these years
were supposedly the last for big blocks, if they didnt supplement Direct
Connection cranks in production trucks to use up stock that might not
sell. Nothing concrete to back that up,just my speculation. The motohome
I figured got a steel crank based on the fact that it was a very harsh
application.

In later years of small block production, Chrysler got light bulb turned
on and with their cast crank engines, instead of adding the weight to
the flexplates and balancers, the figured out that if you removed the
weight from the said balancer or flex plate in the 180 degree opposite
spot from the place you would have added the weight, you would get the
same effect. So, if you buy a late model small block engine, some, not
all will have a flex plate with an area "missing" a section and a
balancer that on the surface looks like a internally balanced unit. as I
recall they started this in the later 80's. I have never seen this sort
of balancing on any big block though. Curiously, my former truck an '89
W250 with a 360, did not have this sort of balancing arrangement.
(original engine) I often wondered if, because this was again a HD
truck, they felt that removing any material from the flex plate would
allow it to fail prematurely under heavy use, and used the older system.
Again nothng to back that up, just my hunch.

That being said, Gary is probably right, the engine will most likely be
a cast crank externally balanced engine.

Doc.

GARY WILSON wrote:

> The engine will most likely be an externally balanced engine.  Will not
> have
> a steel crank.  I picked up a 440 from a a75 Motor home and it is
> externally
> balanced.  DId not notice any difference with the heads.  The 413s had
> different heads and water pump set up.
>

> MOPAR413 (Gary) 64 Polora 500
>

> >From: Dennis <gaustin95827@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: 1980 440 and transmission
> >Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 03:14:54 -0800
> >
> >[AD removed for archives]
> >Are you serious about buying a NEW car or truck soon? Research before
> >stepping on the car lot and save THOUSANDS!
> >Get NO OBLIGATION price quotes from car dealers in your area.
> >caacVmkb6eGsBa/LeadClick
> >
> >I need an engine and there is an add in the San Diego Trader where I
> >live
> >for a complete 440 and transmission that per the ad was removed for a
> >diesel conversion with only 40K miles.  I have not called yet, what is a
> >
> >fair price for the engine, I really don't need the transmission.  Sounds
> >
> >like a truck or RV engine.
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> >--
> >
> >[AD removed for archives]
> >Get a Holy Bible for FREE!
> >caacVl9b6eGsBf/PermissionData
> >
> >----
> >Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person --
> >directly to that person.  I.e., send parts/car transactions and
> >negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended
> >recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will
> >protect
> >your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the content
> >signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!
> >
> >'62 to '65 Mopar Clubhouse Discussion Guidelines:
> >http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/mletiq.html.

> FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar ? get it now!

[AD removed for archives]
Win a Lexus RX330! Class and beauty rolled up in an SUV! Drive
your family this winter in style. Make it yours! Click below and
sign up now!
caacVl3b7yoMzf/Vente

----

b7yoMz.