RE: Cross country trip in a Dart Wagon

[AD removed for archives]
Race to Claim your FREE Stock Car Racing Gift!
caacERRb7yoMza/PermissionData

Don,
	Just to add another story into the mix.  A couple months back I
bought '63 Corvair Spyder (ducking) for my wife and we ended up (due to time
constraints) on driving it from LA to Seattle to be put in storage.  The
pictures and description on EBAY were outstanding, and after talking with
the owner (rebuilt engine, etc...), I felt pretty good for the drive.  We
flew in late on a Thursday, did a good visual inspection but it was in the
dark (mistake) and then took the car and left.  After getting insurance the
next day we headed off on our trip.  Discovered a vibration at 65 MPH, so we
were thinking maybe alignment problems.  Stopped by a tire shop, and
discovered the tires on the car were made in 1985 (still looked good from
the outside) and were disintegrating from the inside out, ($300 fix, 6 hour
delay.)  Small things like that plagued our trip and it ended up costing us
about 1/3 more to drive it vice shipping (and wasted 4 extra days of our
vacation time).  Seems the previous owner only drove it about 300-400 miles
the entire time he had owned it, the rebuild was 4-5 years ago (but since
the low mileage the prev. owner it stated it should have been like new,
hah.)  Hindsight shows in our case, it would have been better to ship it and
work on it locally, (always seemed to breakdown after the parts stores
closed.. :) )
On the flipside, we drove our NY Wagon from WA to CO after purchasing it
with nary a hitch until we dropped the driveshaft coming in to Colorado
(broke down next to a wrecking yard full of old Mopars, just happened to
have the driveshaft we needed in the trunk of a '63 NY.)

Good luck with your decision (make sure to bring good roll of Duct tape
along),

Robyn Wood
'64 NY Wagon

[AD removed for archives]
Tired of annoying POP-Ups? Get a free Pop-up blocker here!
caacERPb7yoMzf/PermissionData

----

b7yoMz.