RE: Idle oil pressure

[AD removed for archives]
Sponsor a child today through Children International.
Give a desperately poor child hope for a brighter future.
For only $18 a month you can make a difference!
caacpgsb7yoMza/ChildrenInternational

Joe,

As always, Don is spot on. I use 50 weight Valvoline. In the dragster
we use 60 weight. The key here is oil temp before hard operation.
The real key for a street engine that you want to take care of is a
pre oilier, if you can afford one. They have become very reasonable
lately.

We never hit the ignition on the dragster until we have oil pressure.
Our starting procedure is, turn the motor over until we get pressure,
stop, roll it over again, check the oil pressure, give it some fuel and
let her rip.

On all of my street cars I own have two switches, one for the starter
motor,
and one for the ignition. This serves two purposes - One I can get oil
pressure before I hit the Hot button, and two I can run more initial
advance without the starter motor getting bogged down.

Toms suggestion about starting a motor off on lighter weight oil is
accepted procedure, but I don't do that because I know I have oil
pressure. Either way works well.

Earl

  I agree with the straight grade being a better oil for high
performance
stuff, but what weight?  I understand that the heavier 50 weight offers
more
protection, but makes the pump work harder.  Is 50 weight ok for
street/strip
duties?  Joe

[AD removed for archives]
Stories from the Civil Rights Movement. Extraordinary stories,
ordinary people. Share your memories today!
caacpgMb7yoMzf/AARP

----

b7yoMz.