413 383 and oil pumps

[AD removed for archives]
Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today ? APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
caacpgwb7yoMza/DiscoverCard

A 383 with a 440 crank (reduced to fit the 383/400 mains and  crankcase) gives 426 cubes
3.75" X 4.25".
In fact i intend to do one very shorlty.
Pistons for the 426 Max Wedge that are streetable are available from Bob Mazzolini. He has the 040"oversize on sale (as are the Dougs headers for our cars (overstocked).)
I tap the pickup holes with a tapered pipe tap and seal the threads with 3M yellow "snail snot". I usaully dress the end of the pickup threads slightly to make sure there is some taper. Why ? Because this type of threads seals itself as it tightens and that is very very important as previously mentioned. The trick is to make sure you drill the block and run the tap deep enough to get good thread engagement.
It is my personal opinion that the thread should be standard tapered pipe but the factory machinery just doesn't do a good job. Should that prove to be incorrect then I would go on record suggesting that even if it is not so it should have been. If there ever was a place where a tapered self sealing thread should have been used it is here. With the pump above the oil and outside the block it is a very difficult oiling system to keep performing well. Maybe someone needs to invent an electric  constant speed hivolume oil pump. That would be the ultimate solution and would make someone rich if they did it right. Too deep a subject for here but well worth thinking about for racing. A constant supply of cool clear bubbleless, pressurized oil is every engine's desire. Conventonal oil pumps have trouble suppling sufficient volume at low speeds (luckily it hurts the engine very little because the loads are very light at these speeds) and they pump too much at high engine speeds causing us to use a presure reliefs to dump the excess pressure. At very high engine speeds (7000RPM) the pumps run so fast the oil gets bubbly or foamy which can lead to engine failure. A constant speed oil pump with a resevoir to settle out bubbles etc would be a wonderful deal and would end the use of dual line pickups etc which are currently used to combat the problem.
It is not so much that the engine needs that much oil as it is that to keep the oil from "pulling apart " ( if you will) and keep bubbles and foam to a miniumum a dual line pick-up helps reduce this in a external pump system. Note the engines with in pan pumps do not need this, because the pump is in the oil or in some cases, almost.
Don

[AD removed for archives]
Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
caacpgjb7yoMzf/OmahaSteaks

----

b7yoMz.