Re: {Chrysler 300} Electrical fuel pump in general

Re: {Chrysler 300} Electrical fuel pump in general

I do not have an electrical    on any 300 but do on some others .
The big thing on this is with two pumps in series you have to be sure the electric allows the main pump to suck gas through it when it is off  . Some will not pass gas or may  restrict it .
But using it only to prime might make  sense , use a spring loaded  switch , otherwise  you really need to tie into oil pressure etc to avoid a real fire hazard , as the electric will
pressurize the diaphragm  in the mechanical and if it fails ( it does) will spray gas   all over and into your engine , equals instant big fire .

So in some older i have put the low pressure carter pump  wired right , with no mechanical pump due to hazard.  this works  well but  unfortunately you hear it . No mechanical.

There are recently submersible  low pressure pumps , (99 % submersible pumps are FI pumps way too high for carbs)      may fix that noise but a  lot of work . And why ?

 millions of mopar did  fine  with a good mechanical  pump , it cranks a bit if dried out ( modern gas)
some think that is good , get oil in engine before start after long sitting . I don't buy that .

I am back to leave it all stock , but have thought of a check valve around an electric primer pump   , kind of complicated plumbing at pump but would be correct solution

I do not know if you can draw gas through the  carter . I think it is a vane pump , so you could not . The ones that click are diaphragm pumps probably can draw . ?? put after the  mechanical ? never see that but safer , for prime ?  can draw through mechanical

related , stuck heat risers boil  out the carb when  you shut off engine . They are shut  when parked ( = full heat ) so rust shut . causes lots of trouble including boiled  out carb .
i remove the plate in general not  driving collector  car when 20 out

improves performance too ( see Edelbrock air gap manifold)
jg