Re: {Chrysler 300} 1960 300F

You’d think these A/C clutch brush sets would be a whole lot easier to locate than they are. But about five years ago I went on an internet hunt for them - by part number, part name, part function, etc. I came up all but dry, ending up with only two pairs as I recall.

These brushes were screwed onto the pump casting and  were external to the electromagnetic coil on the rear of the clutch. Only the large clutches (roughly 7”D.) used these external brushes. When they came out with the internal engagement style (about 5.25” D) in 1960 the brushes were no longer required.

My problems with the brushes were not that I would wear them out, but that they had long plastic arms on them - maybe about 1.5” - and I would forget that they were fragile and the clutch was heavy. So it was easy to snap those arms when removing or installing the clutch.

I went through two or three pairs that way before I learned to be more cautious.

BTW the reduction in clutch diameter in 1960 did not alter the rpm of the A/C pump. Both the 5.25” clutch and the 7” clutch used the same diameter double pulley.

I might have a pair that could be JB Welded and made to work if that helps. Free, but a few bucks for the ride.

Keith
Boonstra

-

On Sun, Jul 28, 2024 at 8:22 AM John Grady <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi Bob
the early ones have rotating coils  , brush like an alternator .
I have had problems too over the years with getting brushes . The can be filed down from somethng larger , in fact various alternator brushes or old drill brushes are a place to start . look at pictures on E bay etc Also you can  measure one side , there was a company , want to say National Carbon that made  them , not custom but many sizes . Not sure if still around

> On Jul 27, 2024, at 4:57 PM, 'Bob Jasinski' via Chrysler 300 Club International <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Frank,
>
> Good speaking with you a few days ago.  Not sure what you mean by AC compressor brushes. I'm not aware of air conditioning compressors using brushes, like what are used in electric motors and generators.  Could you be more specific?
>
> Bob J

---

---