RE: {Chrysler 300} 1960 Cross Ram power brake booster

RE: {Chrysler 300} 1960 Cross Ram power brake booster

Milton-

I don't know what cat you own but I have done two conversions to front discs on a 61 Plymouth and re-did someone elses disks on the front of my 300 F.

John Grady's analysis has been my experience. Had I known in 2007 that I could have made the 61 Plymouth stock drum brakes work well I'd have left them. Instead I used a mid-60's Mopar drum/drum double master which will clear the booster above it and the RAM manifold in front of it. I used GM calipers and rotors. The 1" bore of this master works well enough, but pedal travel is longer than I'd prefer.

My F came to me with disks in front and a single jar master with the residual valve in place and the brakes dragging. Who could tell with all that power? Previous owners couldn't apparently. But rotors were blue and car would not roll in N.

I tried the drum/drum double Mopar master I used on the 61 Plymouth. No good, wouldn't send enough fluid, pedal went too far. The 61 Plymouth uses later B body rear brakes. The F has its stock one inch rear wheel cylinders and that was likely the issue.

Consulted with AAJ brake who said the only dual disk/drum master that will clear the RAM is a 70 Chrysler Imperial unit with 3/4 inch milled off the top and the bubbles on the lid smashed down in a press. This cylinder has a 1.125 inch bore, so I did that, running around like a nut asking machine shops to cut down a master. But it worked, sort of. The F stops OK but with too much travel. I'm used to it. I had two cut down so I have a spare.

If you have your stock drum brakes leave them be. On RAM cars options are few and a high pedal is achievable only with the original components installed and adjusted properly.

Danny Plotkin