{Chrysler 300} Fuel Use

I took my 300K from San Francisco to our place 79 miles out of town. A combination of freeway slight hills and long stretches of relatively flat road.

We did a gas station to gas station run some months ago with the 3.32 gears. Today we did the run with the 2.76 gears.  I was doing about 68 to 72 MPH most of the way.

The 3.23 gears gave us about 13 MPG. The 2.76 gears gave us 16 MPG.

Assuming we live 20 more years and drive the national old folks average of 7600 miles a year, that 3 MPG difference will yield about $11,000 in savings over 20 years. I thought about leaving the 3.23 in and investing in a A-518 and all that goes along with that and it would cost about $10K to $15K by the time it was done. So, assuming fuel prices do not double…one could keep the 3.23 ratio and just loose that 3 MPG and the break even point would be around death for me.

I think I will keep the 2.76 gear in it for the next 5 or 10 years until we have done all our long-distance trips around the USA and Canada and then stick the 3.23 back in at some point when I want to be a bad senior around town…

James

---