{Chrysler 300} Electrical Follow Up

Hi All,

I wanted to do a follow up on the electrical modifications I did on the 300K.

To recap what I did:

  1. I replaced the factory alternator ( which is in a box and works) with a Powermaster 90 AMP unit. Now, I do not need 90 AMPs but what is does do is put out a lot of voltage an current at low RPM.
  2. I used a heavy gauge (battery) wire from the alternator to the starter relay-distribution point.
  3. I took the #10 wire from the relay-distribution point that runs through the bulkhead connector and out to the alternator and removed the engine side of both of those wires.
  4. I re-routed them to a firewall fuse block that goes to the relay-distribution point. I unwrapped the wires did the switch.
  5. I added a wire that bypasses the factory #10 wire and runs to the AMP gauge so that there are two #10 feeds to the dash.
  6. I fused all the feed wires.
  7. I replaced the dash printed circuit boards with new ones that are 2023 manufacture.
  8. I added lots of grounds in the dash, and I also cut out the fuel gauge voltage regulator and replaced it with a solid state one that sits on the steering column under the dash so it can be changed easy.
  9. I also added an electronic voltage regulator that I can adjust. I adjusted its output to 14.1 volts as per the engineer at Interstate for use with their AGM battery. I get 13.9 at the dash in park at idle.

In the engine bay it looks a little busy, but at some point, I can clean it up and give it a lower visual foot print than I have now. {Using Blue Sea Systems big fuser holders takes space}

This bast couple of weeks I needed to pick up my wife during the large downpours of rain from work. At night. Lots of water. I had the heat at full blast, the headlights on, the wipers as fast as they could go. Waiting for the red lights, I still had full brightness in the dash and in the headlights and the dash (cigarette lighter volt gauge – USB plug) shows I had 13.4 volts even with the brake lights on as well.

The modifications are working just as planned and the better dash and headlights in the rain with everything on is great.  The dash circuit board make a big difference and coupled with full voltage at idle make that part of the car like driving a modern one. No dimming.

Best, James

---