Re: {Chrysler 300} Michael Burke

I agree with the sentiments expressed above. My first contact with Mike was about 35 years ago when George Riehl agreed to rebuild the engine in my 300 G. Because George still lived "in town" before he moved to Jonesville my car was dropped off at the Burke farm. The idea was George would go to work on it at Mike's. Ultimately I asked George to do some other things on the car and I think it stayed at Mike's for well over a year. Mike even helped George with a couple things on my car but would never take any payment.

Over the years when I needed an odd part here and there for one of my 300s I'd call Mike. He helped me out more than once and, like Keith said, would never take money. He did say he'd trade parts so one time when I found a really nice 1960 Chrysler 2-door door at the Iola swap meet I bought it. I called Mike to see if he could use it. He said in his very casual manner that he had one or two 1960 Chryslers (I think he had at least 8-10 300 Fs at the time) on the farm and presumed at least one would need metal work on the doors. The next time I was going his way I dropped the door off. He hoisted it over his shoulder and took it into one of his buildings housing many MoPar treasures. Maybe it's still leaned against the same wall where he put it.

Another time he sent me a part I needed and instead of asking how much he wanted, because I knew he wouldn't take anything, I just sent him a check for what I thought was fair. Mike never cashed my check.

Noel lives about 100 miles from me. A few years back I went down to Noel's and then Noel (driving his 300 F) and I went to a couple car shows in Michigan, meeting up with John Begian along the way. We ended up stopping at the Burkes after the first day for what I thought was going to be for dinner. I thought we were going to go out someplace for dinner. As I recall we were going to stay at a hotel up the road a few miles as this was a two day trip before Noel and I returned to Illinois and Wisconsin respectively the next day. Instead, Linda made us all dinner and then we ended up staying overnight at the Burkes as a result of Linda and Mike's hospitality. Cancel the hotel reservation. We talked "cars" and whatever half-way through the night.

Mike has been a great friend and I join in Keith's sentiments that some of the best times were the late night hospitality room discussions at the 300 meets. RIP Mike. My thoughts and prayers to Linda and the Burke family.

Brian