Re: {Chrysler 300} The 1960 Scandal That Nearly Took Down the Chrysler C

Re: {Chrysler 300} The 1960 Scandal That Nearly Took Down the Chrysler Corporation - Mac's Motor City GarageMac's Motor City Garage

Hi Danny and Club

Just got my copy of this book and it definitely looks like a good read as I scan it!

I will say, however, that being a native New Yorker and lifelong architecture junkie, I was disappointed that there was no mention of the Chrysler Building, especially since it figured into Chrysler’s ads in magazines such as National Geographic, etc in the very early ‘30’s and is a revered architectural treasure.

I have a number of books about the skyscraper race in Manhattan in the late ‘20’s and early ‘30’s and to my personal disappointment when I read one of them years ago (perhaps “Higher”? ) I learned that Walter P. had stiffed William Van Alen, the architect on what is generally considered one of the most iconic of Art Deco buildings in the world.

We love our Mopars and the history of the corporation, warts and all, but that slight to Van Alen is  black eye on the founder.

Perhaps the author, Charles Hyde, wanted to focus strictly on the business end of things, which he seems to have done well here.

Keith