RE: {Chrysler 300} RE: PITA voltage problem

RE: {Chrysler 300} RE: PITA voltage problem

What follows is subject to correction by John Grady.

Chrysler products using an alternator were designed to work well and did for millions of miles.

Over charging with non-original regulators is part and parcel of reproduced parts. The electronic versions all over charge in my experience, running around 15-16 volts at road speeds. I assume that this is intentional, that the makers figured better to overcharge than undercharge especially with a handful of cheap components lacking any precision. Flooded cell batteries don't really care as long as you add water. Gel and AGM batteries are less tolerant.

I understand the use of relays in working around crummy headlamp wires but I would stay away from that on the ignition or charging side. Good engineering where I came from is the use of the least amount of parts and complication possible.

The mechanical regulators are still available though not Mother Mopar manufactured. These can be adjusted if you are careful. The electronic versions, not. Find one before you fill your engine bay up with wires.

Danny Plotkin