{Chrysler 300} Steering Update 300K coupling and ground

{Chrysler 300} Steering Update 300K coupling and ground

Here are some photos of the final installation. I did a very short down the block and back steering test, due to the MC-Booster issues I could not do more, to see how the steering is doing.

The spare box at relatively low speed feels a better than the old one I took out, but the real test will be when I can take it for a real road test.

That said, the coupling did not cause any issues. I have a ground path that registered zero ohms resistance across the rubber isolator. So, the ground it fine.

Using the shoulder bolt in place of either a split pin or a cotter pin is great. I pulled it in and out a couple of times without any issues. Just a very light tap.

Everything cleared on the inside. No rubbing or anything.

You can see the photos of how it all worked out.

Make the wire just a little long so the worm tube can slide for and aft in its slot while you are putting the column on and the upper snap ring.

I did have one thing that went wrong. I tested the “bite” of the bolt on the steering box here in San Francisco, the factory unit and it was fine. The spare unit on the car when the nut hit the shoulder did not bite enough and so the ring terminal on the wire was a little loose. The pin was floating a bit.  I suspect that the coupling OD tolerance is not perfect on these or that the ends get splayed out on some over time just a little. In either case a small thin washer over the shoulder did the trick. If you use the part numbers I listed, just get some washers that will slip over the shoulder if you need them. Also, use proper safety protocols and never re-use any of those little nylocks nuts twice. I also put a dab of Loctite blue on it.

James

---