Re: {Chrysler 300} Fwd: Gilbert A. Cunningham obituary

Re: {Chrysler 300} Fwd: Gilbert A. Cunningham obituary

Last night I thought long and hard about something and thought I'd share it with you club members.  I was very fortunate to call both Gil Cunningham and George Riehl my friends.  Over the years Christie and I became close with Gil and Carol along with George and Eleanor.

The night Eleanor passed George phoned us and we talked for what seems like hours.  It hit me a bit later as to why we were picked for that call of all of his many friends but it stuck in my head that he felt close and comfortable with us.

Gil phoned often and we too would have long conversations about anything and everything but usually centered around the cars, members and what was going on in general within the club.  On numerous meets we would travel with Gil and Carol and have our own mini meets usually after the club gathering.  Those times were and are very special to us.

By chance Gil called one morning when I was at work and we were three hours different in time.  I happen to have my TV on in my office that day and when I saw what was going on I asked Gil, "do you have access to a TV?"  He said yes and turned it on.  We both watched September 11, 2001 unfold before our eyes.  The following year the four of us were at the World Trade Center location.

My final thought on this post is that at the Ashville meet I remember Gil and George out in the parking lot with a bucket shucking and eating oysters as fast as they could.  Not my taste but those to guys were having the time of their lives.  I trust my friends are together once again sharing a story or two and looking for further adventures.  Gentlemen, Godspeed to both of you and I hope our paths cross again.

John Lazenby