RE: {Chrysler 300} Cold start 300G

Well…..at least after reading these…I feel better about the black soot marks, as Im not alone!!!  And not quite as bummed out about the hard cold starting I face…as Im not alone!!!  I will have to try the small quarter turn adjustment.  Misery loves company??  Or ….its amazing to be in a group of incredibly cool car owners??  lol

From: 'Richard Osborne' via Chrysler 300 Club International
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2022 10:05 AM
To: RICHARD HUSS
Cc: 'Keith Langendorfer' via Chrysler 300 Club International
Subject: Re: {Chrysler 300} Cold start 300G

Hi Richard,

My response won’t be overly helpful other than I agree with a comment that someone else made in following the “G” supplemental Service Guide for the best possible result. My G has always run great, but has also been very difficult to start. This is compounded when it sits for more than a day.

Your email triggered something that I find myself talking about more and more these days. When these cars were new, they weren’t easy to deal with. My father, also Richard (Dick) Osborne, and who I don’t know if he is still on this email list, was one of the worlds top Imperial and Valiant sales people in 1961. Yes, the most top of the line cars and the most entry level cars (Wood Motors, Columbus, Ohio). He loved the G, but always told me about what a PIA they were if they sat on the lot, both as a new car and as a used car. He said they were difficult to start after sitting. Although they never had many of the G’s, he indicated they were a challenge to sell due to starting (and windshield trim flying off, but that seemed to be a ’61 issue across the Chrysler line).

So, my experience is that each car has a uniqueness. My G involves pumping the gas 4 times, cranking for about 10-15 seconds, stop cranking, pump 3 more times and crank for another 10-15 seconds, stop cranking and pump 3 more times. Crank for about 15-20 seconds and it fires and usually runs pretty well. I too have 2 black spots on the floor due to running rich. NOTE: I have chokes hooked up, but no butterflies in the exhaust manifolds. I have an old Dodge that I just crank until I see oil pressure. As soon as oil pressure has been achieved, I pump it 3 times and it fires immediately, even after sitting for more than a year without being started. The lifters bleed down on it.

I mention this as I think we get spoiled by how fast and easy new cars start. I was shocked in 2006 when I purchased my new SRT10 Ram (500HP) and it fired immediately, even in single digit temps. Now, with a new 2500 diesel, it take a few seconds of preheating the fuel, then starts immediately and settles into a steady rattle even in single digit temparatures.

Again, I understand not much help. Please take this response as a celebration of my father and not as a wise ass remark. I spent hours and hours working on the carbs on my car and have come to accept the car runs great, but just won’t start quickly. As a side note, my fuel pump is ok and does not drain back as some others have experienced.

Best regards,

Richard Osborne (Jr)

> On Feb 17, 2022, at 7:58 AM, RICHARD HUSS <rhuss214192@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I rebuilt the carbs and the car runs great. (a little soot at start) but is cord natured. if it sits overnight it takes a few cranks to get fuel back in the carbs. What am i missing in the carb setup? A choke setting? I cant find any articles or videos on how to set up the older Carter Carbs. Thanks Richard

> --

> For archives go to http://www.forwardlook.net/300-archive/search.htm#querylang

> ---

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chrysler-300-club-international/00CBCCCF-AD97-41FD-B50E-0649D8F0D9CB%40comcast.net.