Re: {Chrysler 300} Chrysler 300C carbureter information

Re: {Chrysler 300} Chrysler 300C carbureter information

no ,— never !!!!  they wrecked a WCFB carb on me , instead of rebushiing a worn throttle shaft ( standard fare , tool is on ebay in fact ) they wrapped the old shaft to fill the wear gap with very thin brass shim stock - it worked its way out into the throttle bore , vacuum  pulls it . hung up throttles near / off idle stop intermittently . caused advance slot not to be right, idle varying due to carb being wrong and the carb slot impact on advance — when not supposed to be advanced at all at idle  — total disaster , Difficult to find with advance aspect going on at same time , changing the idle — carb on and off 3 times  . Popping back off idle too .

total halfazz way to do anything . Moron idea . forget anyplace that would do this and charge you full boat too .

Was not like that there 20 years back  . Use quad shop , but that can be really slow .

I ended up rebuilding that wcfb myself . I bought the tool and bushings about 40$ You can do better than some kid at a bench
Good kits from Mikes carb parts .

There is nothing magic about rebuilding a carb that is not corroded .
A few crucial  things on carb rebuild , float level is surprisingly critical , and if any error better high fuel than low , as alcohol gas needs stronger AF ratio , and stock they are  all tuned  lean for the old leaded gas , they tend to run really lean now on alcohol due  mpg tune done back then .  That leads to stumble off idle , and it is  not accell pump squirt despite what armchair critics think . Not that simple .
But be sure accell pump check valves and balls are free and pump leather soft,  if leather  .
On ram carbs the mix adj needles often have wear rings on them after years of playing , a step forms . Then it is an on off action no real adjustment . Very fortunately new edelbrock needles fit slightjy better , bigger you get your ram mixture adjustment back . On the car you can change these , inspect carefully and ring shape wear get new ones .
And on afb be sure upper check needle at squirter is clean and free , they stick left sitting ..a white crud forms .
Last you can mix up afb venturi R and L and gaskets too or flipped over venturi gaskets . I found this in a “rebuilt “ . look very  carefully at drawings and how old one was too — compare holes . it is confusing— easily goes together wrong . —- For anyone doing it .
just sayin ..

Sent from my iPhone not by choice