RE: {Chrysler 300} 55 C300 Convert

The convertible was the next car to roll off the line after the C-300 we formerly owned.  (C-300’s # 198 & 199).  Below are Excel images of the Body Plate, VIN tag and engine block number from our Platinum brute.  Life and options were simpler then.  I see it for sale from time to time.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA

PAINTED ALUMINUM TRIM PLATE FROM DRIVER'S SIDE OF FIREWALL, UNDER HOOD

CHRYSLER DIVISION

MODEL

PAINT

TRIM

SCHED.

ITEM

4

4

3

0

5

0

3

1

7

1  9  1  9

4

9

4

1

8

SPL.-FO.

1  1  9  1

STAINLESS STEEL VEHICLE NUMBER TAG FROM FRONT DOOR JAMB, DRIVER'S SIDE

.

3

5

5

1

1

9

8

ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER, STAMPED INTO TOP OF BLOCK AT FRONT

3

5

5

1

0

9

8

Information below from original microfilm records

Courtesy, Mr. Gil Cunningham, Tallahassee, FL

Director, Chrysler 300 Club, International

44

1955 Chrysler 300 2 Dr. Sports Coupe

30

Platinum, Ditzler 8096

50

C300 Natural Beige Leather Interior

317

Scheduled shipping date 3-17-55

1919

Shipping order No. 3171919

4

Four way electric front seat adjuster

9

Electro touch tuner radio, antenna & rear shelf speaker-no foot control

4

Heater

1

Solex Glass-all windows

8

Powerflite auto. transmission with power steering

1191

BODY NO.

Above data on Body ID Tag

2

Gear ratio-3.54:1

DATE BUILT

MAR 12

(SATURDAY)

DATE SHIPPED

MAR 17 1955

(THURSDAY)

IGN. KEY NO.

35

(Note:  club members confirm original keys were aluminum)

R. DECK KEY NO.

9

GL. BOX KEY NO.

9

MOTOR NO.

1098

SERIAL NO.

3N551198

ROUTE

5

REGION

06

DISTRIBUTOR

7628 (Lowrey Auto Co.; Roswell, N.M.)

DEALER ORDER NO.

012

DEALER ITEM NO.

01

DRIVE

1

Above data from "CAR DISTRIBUTION AND SCHEDULE PLANNING" CHRYSLER PLANT IBM CARD

Note:  1955 Chrysler 300's officially went on sale 2-11-55.

Barber car #198, manufactured 3/12/55--29 calendar days later, perhaps 21 days of production.

198

21

9.428571

cars/day