I don't know what the actual practice was in Wisconsin or what was or was not enforced, but Wisconsin legislature passed a law effective September 25, 1961, requiring front outboard seatbelts in all new cars sold in Wisconsin from 1962 on. To my knowledge the law was not repealed prior to the federal law being enacted.

Again, I can't comment on how or if it was enforced, but my understanding is the law was on the books.

Brian

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 7:24 AM DR CHALLENGER <drchallenger@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
in nys all cars newer than 1964 are required to have seat belts. if installed in earlier cars they most be used

From: pffkllc via Chrysler 300 Club International <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 5:53 AM
To: ajp002@xxxxxxxxx <ajp002@xxxxxxxxx>; cpaviper@xxxxxxxxxxx <cpaviper@xxxxxxxxxxx>; chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: {Chrysler 300} 1961 300G seat belts

Seat belt story:

    I had the G out for a short drive to the store one Sunday morning when I got stuck in one of those police registration/seat belt checks where they close one lane and make you crawl through while they check.
In any event, when I got to the cop he told me to pull over, and I figured he wanted to check out the G, which is not uncommon.  He then informed me that he was going to ticket me for not wearing a seat belt,
whereupon I told him that the car didn't have seat belts.  This cop was maybe 35 years old, and told me "All cars have seat belts."  I suggested that, to save himself some embarrassment, perhaps he should check
with the stationhouse, or at least someone over the age of 50 and ask about seatbelts.  He started to argue with me and I told him that, in fact, seat belts were not standard back in the 60's before he was born.  He
grudgingly went off to his car, or somewhere, and came back 10 minutes later with a sour look on his face and said "You can go!"   I tried to tell him that I understood why he wouldn't know about the seatbelts, but
he wasn't interested in hearing it.  Anyone else have a similar story?

Pete Fitch