thanks for chiming in !
John
Sent from my iPhone not by choice

On 13 Feb 2021, at 11:44 am, RICK AND DEBBIE CLAPHAM <rixpac@xxxxxxx> wrote:

More brain damage, how about industrial 413 engines and marine reverse rotation engines. Fun to think about. But for your application your decal works on A, B, RB and RB Hemi… Rick

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Henry Schleimer
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2021 8:09 AM
Cc: 'Chrysler 300 Club International'
Subject: RE: {Chrysler 300} valve lash adjustment hemi

John

This is a good question because it isn’t as simple as one would think.  Lash has to be set with the lifter on the cam base circle.  For example, at TDC on the firing stroke, the exhaust valve “is getting ready” to open soon.  So, depending on how the cam is ground, some of the “slack” may already be taken up.

How do I know?  I looked at the 57 Service Manual lists which tappets are on the low side at two! positions (Cly 1 & 6 firing).  Too easy! Silly me set the lash that way on my 300C when rebuilding it years ago.  However, before I finally put the valve covers on, I thought I should do a check and found the gaps were way off.  Maybe the Manual’s advice was ok for a New Yorker cam but not for a 300C cam which has more duration.  The  adjustment chart below is probably right – haven’t checked it.  If you want to check  the exact mid point on the base of the cam, split the angles between valve close and open from the specs.

NB I have a Mopar timing tape on my damper so I don’t really care if I have to move the engine multiple times. Still only turn it twice overall.

Cheers

Henry