{Chrysler 300} 1962 Inner Speedo Cable

It seems I have unfrozen the input to the speedometer on my 300 Sport.
(Although the needle is still playing dead at about 15 MPH)

I now need to pull the INNER speedometer cable from its housing.
Then I can go visit a speedometer shop, and have the speedo tip (ferrule) crimped back onto the end.

My issue is that the inner cable is not sticking out far enough to grab it & pull it out. (Speedometer / Top end)
Is it 100% necessary to pull the cable away from the transmission end & release the inner cable down there first?
I’m sure it is, but just wanted to know if I could avoid that or not.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Matt Allyn