{Chrysler 300} Re: 57-58 motor mount ears/ rubber mounts , Turquoise D

{Chrysler 300} Re: 57-58 motor mount ears/ rubber mounts , Turquoise D

I found a great picture in the D manual , C manual and 57 dodge paragraph on mount is garbage . They must have had trouble / confusion in 57 . the round rubber C/D mount you get now goes into the cup with a line on the rubber bottom toward the block , so in that position the pin is offset toward the car wheels as much as possible . Makes sense against jumping off too . The underside of mount is serrated to prevent turning , a clue. Related to that —all the 57 Chrysler and dodge mount pictures show a round rubber , No offset (!) . ? changed in 58 or early 57?

Regarding the discussion with Don , on this new set, the rubber is well bonded on offset to the inner pin ; the dodge one I had was for sure bonded to outer-cup (  either way would do job , prevent turning ,)  but replacement rubber I got on line was a loose biscuit no bonding to anything . That might be a problem . Will turn .  Maybe 57 was a round rubber initially as shown in C and Dodge book so no need to bond ? From design perspective i bet it started that way , changed to offset and bonded / serrated to lock it offset for some good reason .
Also Lynn has been fighting this on Desoto adventurer , he noted ( good info) that parts numbers for dodge desoto and chrysler are all different ( look ~ the same) which may be  how they dealt with three block lengths, ~ same frame , same trans .
Tabs on mounts are in back  of block tabs on 392 moving the engine forward. Tie rod and trans mount issues happen if wrong . Seems close to radiator but correct .

ours came out ,correctly assembled , more than 2” offset at front to passenger side and on center on back after reversing the trans frame crossmember (   it was in wrong) ; going through numbers , 1” offset difference  over 5 feet is about 1 degree , 2 “ about 2 degrees . Compared with the variable normal U joint vertical misalignment ( why you shim at U bolts) with car loading , (max around 3 degree ) this is ok , although less is better . we are redrilling crossmember to move slightly to passenger  side maybe 1/2” but the wide part of trans case gets close to floor . this helped head pipe fits on convert x frame too . one tab of trans mount has to be tweaked down in vise  ,so as not to break vulcanizing  —or just don’t do it .

A new problem came up when tightening it down ( correctly ) the rubber wants to extrude up out of open top of mount , the inward metal fold at top of can is not enough . The inner stub stops about 1/2 “ lower than the rubber , which I think would allow a ~ 1/8” disc to close up the top from inside and prevent that dropping and extruding . That happened on dodge too — engine sinks down over time, so doing that .

I think smart to do , make a  disc, given known failure mode of mount .

Long standing confusion cleared up at this end , thanks to all who helped out,
John
Sent from my iPhone not by choice