Re: [Chrysler300] Wheel Studs knurl & length size wanted.

Re: [Chrysler300] Wheel Studs knurl & length size wanted.

I would forewarn you most strongly this can be a big bag of worms . Pressing out ALL of the old ones often if not always destroys the critical interference press fit , ( fitted to like .0005 ) so some replacements come in various oversizes . And why the more forgiving knurl . After ending up with 40 or 60 studs trying — one or two studs still did not press right . ( to do right you read pressure to press in force on a hydraulic gauge) Add in the length variation , R and  L ( long obsolete ) you have quite an array of studs if you can find  the old ones.. mostly not oversize, what you need. They will sell you new ones for assembling new mating parts .. You might not be aware of all this. ** Final resolution for me  involved machining new holes for several  holes ( difficult due to accuracy not just of diameter but location of real bolt circle) and then used larger studs from another car . I had to do this on a particular rare car to change out hub only. **I have many times seen really crude things on our cars where someone not understanding all this put in “ new” stock studs essentially  loose ( not a true press fit anymore )  . Brings up do you need press fit . I think you do , and precise as it gets into then matching hubs and drums perfectly and thus wheel run out .300 engineers thought you need it .  If you have one bad stud probably ok to put in one that is slightly loose .re press . Maybe loctite red.
They might have even drilled hub and drum as one entity . I do not know . Difficult to hold large 3D assembly in machine shop with enough precision . It is tough on surfaces . They had tooling to  do all  this
Best advice I can give you is leave them alone . Or get new/ used parts with it still factory assembled  .
Not only way cheaper it is correct when done . Anything else may not be . And a hassle to do right
There will be other opinions by those with a large hand drill . Way it goes !
Sent from my iPhone not by choice