Re: [Chrysler300] Power steering fluid

That's a good question for them. I have to call them this week, I may ask that very question and report back.

John

On Sunday, September 20, 2020, 03:15:31 PM EDT, 'Bob Jasinski' rpjasin@xxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John,

Does Firm Feel have a recommendation for a power steering fluid?  I would ask them.

Bob J

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of John Sager cleanthegarageout@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 8:50 AM
To: rfmelton@xxxxxxx; mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx
Cc: dverity@xxxxxxxxxxx; tomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Powersteering fluid

Just happened to buy a quart of power steering fluid this week at Advance Auto.

$5.49 for their store brand.  Pretty much the same price as ATF.

Yea... Leaky steering box in my '70 300... and yes, it was a red puddle from the previous owner(s) as they always seem to be. Maybe it makes a difference and maybe it doesn't.  It's really about my feelings anyway. It is 2020 and I can say that. LOL!!

Rebuilt Firm Feel box is in process as we speak to cure the leak.

John

On Sunday, September 20, 2020, 09:26:51 AM EDT, 'mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx' mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Lubricants, Fuels, Coolants, additives, and etc. almost always bring out many opinions and experiences.
I'm adding my thoughts on your question of power steering fluid vs. automatic transmission fluid for use in power steering.

Both are essentially hydraulic oils, but they differ primarily by friction modifiers which are included in the ATF and are not needed in power steering systems. Friction modifiers improve clutch function by reducing (or eliminating) the tendency for clutch surfaces to "chatter" when relative speeds are nearing lock-up. Limited slip differentials are a well known source of such chatter when the friction modifier in the gear oil is either absent or depleted. The same kind of roughness in clutch engagement can occur in the automatic transmission if the friction modifier is not present. Some clutch slippage is necessary in the transmission to accomplish an acceptably smooth shift. A clutch that chatters is not acceptable.
The difference in the oils is not related to the needs of gaskets, seals, oil pumps, cylinders, bearings, and etc, but only to needs of the clutches and bands; therefore, use of ATF in the power system is perfectly acceptable.

Auto Zone prices are about: $6.00/quart for Dexron ATF and about $4.00/12oz for power steering fluid

It's my opinion that the only reason there are containers labeled "POWER STEERING FLUID" is to create an additional profitable sales item. I'm sure it makes some folks "feel good" to purchase a product that is indicated to be for the specific application.

--------------Marshall Goodknight

Please note: message attached