Re: [Chrysler300] Re 14 inch wheels for 1960 chrysler

Re: [Chrysler300] Re 14 inch wheels for 1960 chrysler

Very Important distinction there . Real 14x6.5 very rare thing , I ended up with a pile of 14x6 over the years , tossed them — and too small for the Coker tire . Look bad too ,if you are aware of it— some F I had over the years had them —came to me mixed with real 6.5 . Replacement 14” Chrysler rims, ?? 6 x 14 common in junkyard .
I would really think about wheel vintiques , make 14x7 (me) or 6.5  to order ?
In truth may not be wise - you will be severely limited once you have the wheels ( only first step) as current tires are intended for slightly wider rims , becomes a big can of worms for a driver — except  for a trailer  Queen .
Marginal new 14” tires may cost more than  good speed rated 15 “ or 16 ” ones , essentially only one 14” tire now.
Tony’s 15” rim that holds a 14 hubcap is the very best compromise . What is not to
Like? He put in a lot of work to solve this vexing problem ..
also have police wheels from mid / late 60’s but 15” , I think 7 or 8 wide  . Have used those . G hubcaps . I wonder if 60 “ gear” can fit G hubcap?
Personally I like even better tires , you have to go 16” to get really good Michelin . About same rolling OD too , shorter sidewalls . Modern treads , roadholding, anti hydroplane etc   . Safety aspect of 130 mph tires also in there.

I have had my share of tire   failures , some close calls , never even once with Michelin . I generally won’t even look at anything else , except use the better Coker for the look .  The cheaper Coker i tried   way back were not even round

I know ,Michelin are  Blackwall .... maybe Diamond does something , on Michelin carcass, but will be 15 first.

I read  in SAE journal that all volume tire Rand D is presently directed at 16-17 as computer design trade off says   best parameters for a medium up size car .

15 is already fading fast like 14.

So, do you drive it ? or look at it ? Or drive it slow? Not facetious question , either
Understand the two schools of thought , no problem , not critical .. but needs open consideration , I think
John
Sent from my iPhone not by choice