RE: [Chrysler300] Pont-à-Mousson Black F Convertible

Just passing this along, as I have no personal knowledge on the Petty F convertible, but wanted to mention that it was extensively discussed on the Facebook page known as “the Chrysler 300 Appreciation Society” back in late December.   In that discussion, one of our former Club members, a very knowledgeable gentleman with extensive experience with Forward Look Mopars and former 300 F Special owner, emphatically stated that the subject car was cloned from a standard black 375hp F convertible with long rams.   And that he “ personally saw the car in storage with that equipment at DP's old salvage yard.”

Carl B.

From: 'John Grady' jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 1:13 PM
To: 'william ELDER'; kmaniak@xxxxxxx; nick@xxxxxxxx; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Pont-à-Mousson Black F Convertible

While not knowing enough to say anything on the subject at hand re: "who did what, when" , I could understand maybe someone with connections or $ going for a 400HP engine and 4 spd stick in an F convertible ,--- but not with AC? Makes no sense? Smells like a personal resto mod, from one who has done that , at times.

Chrysler would never do that, ?? and I doubt a sharp 3 rd party making Daytona race cars would either. Opposite goals. And a hassle too , with slightly different 400HP engine parts and tune. Unless someone at race car co --or doing conversions wanted that ? CEO or something? Otherwise how would you ever get all those 400HP specific items in 1960 just as car came out, if done at that time ?

I once , very long ago, early 70's? bought the perfect interior including consoles from an F that had been totaled in Connecticut, maybe from an magazine ad. ("hit a tree at high speed" , owner of the seats said " could not junk that fantastic interior", so guy hung it on nails in his barn) , console had the shifter cutout and trim plate around it that matched ash tray etc.. also two small round instruments , maybe oil pressure , holes were die stamped , not cut ; also had aluminum shiny metal trim around seat bottoms, not the black plastic. But exact same shapes.. not hand made. So ,real? Prototype? Never finished that story....no numbers....

Kind of funny, also got a ?convertible F quarter panel once from a Mopar guy in NY who had made a basement bar out of it...light even went on...

On the other hand, re: AC, I went down to buy a hemi Challenger convert new in 1970 (company car!--not my $ ) , I was emphatically told no AC with a Hemi , maybe not with six pack either(do not remember on that ) so ended up with nice bronze RT convert with a 440 twin snorkel type hood, 440 legend there on hood ....and air.. Just sayin..no AC in an ultimate performance car..

14 gallon tank and 440 would not get me even the 120 miles of mass turnpike to the NY line .....so, two years later, a black 70 Imperial 2 dr 440 coupe, fantastic car... ----got old or something.

John