Re: [Chrysler300] Hexavalent yellow plating

Re: [Chrysler300] Hexavalent yellow plating

Awesome info..... thanks again Bob.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 3:23 PM 'Bob Merritt' bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here is an excellent resource for "Hexavalent" zinc plating - that rainbow yellow plating you find on various fittings, brackets, and fasteners under the hood. We sometimes used to refer to it as yellow cadmium plating, and it can be a critical part of making your restoration look fresh. It was great to find that Midwest Plating in Grand Rapids performs this service that is increasingly hard for the car restorer to find.

The photos you see here

are of approximately 9.5 lbs of brake and underhood parts from my 1961 Mercedes 190SL that Midwest did in September 2019. These parts all had varying degrees of surface rust on them when removed from the car. I cleaned each piece up the best I could with a wire wheel before bringing the parts to Midwest Plating. They completed the preparation by soaking them in a caustic solution to remove the rest of the rust, and then plated them. The results were spectacular.. The parts look as new now - especially those that did not have deep rust pitting.

The cost? Midwest does the plating and charges by the "basket". They would have done the whole works for $30, but I asked them to keep the parts separated between brake parts and underhood parts. So it was $60 for the two baskets instead.

And the best part is that Ryan and Casey are easy to work with and careful with your valuable parts. In my case one part came out incompletely plated, and they gladly did it over again the next day and shipped it to me..

Hope you find this as helpful as I did.

Keith Boonstra
Holland MI

-