RE: Re: [Chrysler300] 1960 F radio -

Hi Noel,

A few suggestions for him, on radios, First , generally the tubes are fine. Wiggle in sockets gently to be sure good contact . coat pins carefully with silicone contact grease. I was much very all into that, (I collect / restore old radios, anyway, since a kid, have backed away now. 100’s of them on shelves!—see Philco 90, 20, 70 ; I am “philcojohn” in old radio circles…. 90 is the 300 of radios. ) I wrote all about the 300 radios in a 300 monthly tech news,  or whatever it was called maybe 25 years ago? Might find that issue in archives. .

What goes wrong, ---pass this on to him, if a good radio guy.  Over 70 , helps with tubes….:)

1)just parallel all electrolytics (they are no good now for sure ) with multiple new Panasonic 25 volt two lead discrete caps from digi key . (many other brands  are Chinese junk) ; do not try to remove the silver , large old one you WILL  damage PC card , you can razor knife cut traces to + of old one . The traces WILL all lift if heated. New caps are tiny

2) replace output transistor , they get crazy, operating point drift cause distortion . New PNP Germanium auto radio outputs are available now , fairly generic for 57-65 radios. ; in that long ago article I changed to silicon  , maybe do not have to do that now,. Ge were hard to find then. “obsolete”

3) check bias mA on output and adjust, sometimes  low ohm emitter lead resistor will burn open, due to bad transistor. . Replace .

4)cork clutch in dial tuning drive often slips , = station knob does not move tuning ; easiest fix is add  a light spring, maybe 3/16 diameter  from actuating arm of that clutch to side case holes of radio. =Pulling harder, and put powdered rosin on cork face. Not really adjustable, you can hurt this easily, messing with it . ….any oil on it wrecks it. This from fixing ~ 25 of these ; first efforts were sad. Do not oil any of the parts near it. At one point I made a special stronger stock spring, a bear to change, inside the push button thing.  realized adding one outside does same thing!

5) last, and often ok, --but should mention. … generally alignment of IF transformers is still perfect, in trying to tune up with “the golden screwdriver” (I cannot resist)  , you can break the fragile cores = you are screwed. Often stuck solid . If low sensitivity on radio, and IF suspect, and good IF tube, or-- you can easily move them, yet they do not ‘peak”, --fairly common and labor intensive problem is “open to air” silver mica  fixed value tuning caps mounted in the bottom of each IF can will corrode, lose pF. Black=silver oxide (tarnish) = caps are junk.  Causes low gain,  jumps in volume on bumps etc . To fix that requires removing  IF transformers , (arrgh..GREAT CARE---PC card damage) disassemble them , drill rivet, remove all those caps, and add discrete mica caps outside on card  . You need good eyes….Hopefully your radio not like this. I would not do it routinely.

5 button is the best one really, 7 button a great radio , more tubes and more watt power,  but all the power tuning parts are rarely functional , some severe design flaw  issues show up (the flip over direction switch arms , it mechanically breaks, cannot be fixed, motor seizes, electric clutch setup , winding fails . ) and even when they are working  , not very good feature in practice . I have OFTEN disabled all that to just get a better manual radio , but 5 button nice and simple can be made perfect.

Be sure shorting plug is in back socket on your radio , or a rear speaker kit , or you get nothing  out to speaker .

Schematics readily available by Howard Sams Photofact, or often E bay . The one in the service manual may be correct…it has a number like Mopar 420 , aka Mopar xxx , also stamped in the cover of your radio?? same radio was used across line in different box.

Hope all this helps…..

John