Re: [Chrysler300] 300H (temporary) air cleaners

Re: [Chrysler300] 300H (temporary) air cleaners

On 9/13/2017 10:00 AM, 'Carlton Schroeder' schroe99@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[Chrysler300] wrote:

> Good morning,

> Hoping for some suggestions.

> I’m moving along at a steady but modest pace with my H restoration and
> now have a nice running rebuilt engine and fully painted, but
> unassembled car.

> I would like to find some temporary air cleaners before splurging for
> the remanufactured versions available through our Club.  Being realistic
> that is probably one year away.

> The carbs are correct Carter AFB’s with the 4 7/32” neck and there is 7”
> between carb centers.   I don’t have the hood on but an air cleaner
> height of up to 3” would probably be OK.

> I have seen a few aftermarket 6 ½” dia cleaners, but no oval ones, and
> all those I have found need the adaptor rings that allow a cleaner with
> a 5 1/8” opening to be used.

> Has anyone else found some aftermarket air cleaners that could be used?

> Thanks,

> Carlton Schroeder

> Eagle River, WI

well, yes there was a 'replacement' after market custom cast aluminum
'football' air cleaner parts.  You will not like the price But they
sure are attractive if one chooses to go aftermarket.

the last ones I saw were approx $200 a carb (or way more).

Having typed that, about 8 years ago I saw a bin full of immytation
knockoffs of the Creitz and they were way cheaper. finding some of the
counterfeit Creitz's might fill your request!

FOR anyone interested, I can supply pictures of these very rare Creitz
air cleaner parts.  Best I could learn is maybe only about 30 sets
were made.

About 17 years ago I ran across a swap meet vender that had a Plymouth
318 2x4 intake setup with carbbies and these air cleaners, when first
seen by me the whole package was marked $1900, the last time I
saw them he was asking about $2700. Think he finally learned something
about the Creitz air cleaners.

It took me many years to locate a second air cleaner top and bottom
after an old timer swap meet vender who I had known for some time
waved my first one under my nose and asked if I was 'interested?'.
Even tho he only had 1 set I didn't hesitate to seal the deal because
he was very reasonable on his asking price, in anutter verbs, I didn't
even try bargaining. (and I'm known as a Tightwad)

Now for the 'neat' part, once having seen the parts, it can easily serve
as a guide line to replicate in general the air cleaner top and bottom
out of flat stock aluminum. Anyplace with CNC hardware could knock them
off at a reasonable cost I speculate. the concept is fairly simple,
Creitz's products were cast, and any effort to approximate them doesn't
need the Creitz markings just has to hold the filter element in place.

--
Paul Holmgren
To announce that there must be NO criticism of the President, or that

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)