Re: [Chrysler300] Jack Wiltse's 300-D

You can buy restored, very nicely restored, 300D's for high 50's. This car while nice is a long way from that. If it were a G or an F maybe, but private market doesn't support the number.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 9, 2017, at 11:14 PM, mjraguse@xxxxxxx wrote:

I have not seen the car since before it was repainted. After I purchased my 58 in 1997 I went out to Ypsilanti, Michigan to look at it as a reference to my car. His charming wife Mary Lou was still alive and I remember her stories of growing up and going to school with the Preston Tucker children as local playmates of hers.
Anyway at the time I believe Jack's car still had its original paint.  Fast forward to a Chrysler media event some time in the late 1990s and Jack answered a request to put it on display along with other Chrysler vehicles as a historical reference to the new 300m.  While in the tent a storm came up and the car experience some serious paint damage.  After much angst and arguing Jack was able to get MSX International, Chrysler's local go-to supplier for all media events to repaint the car. So It should have had a fairly good, if not show quality finish because MSX employed some very good painters. But because it was a repair type of repaint it would not of had the engine removed. The engine compartment paint should be original. That is the paint story as Jack personally told me.
Jack's 300 D is featured in the Ackerson 300 book.  One interesting option is the rarer headlining as shown in the pages of the Ackerson 300 volume.   Check it out.  I also have that headlining which is one of the reasons for that first trip out to Jack and Mary Lou's home in Ypsilanti.
So from the report it needs new seat covers, a new dash pad and some fluff and buff and you have a really nice car...Why on earth is that not worth $40,000.
Marv Raguse, Oakland Twp. Michigan   57 300C and 58 300D

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike McCandless my65cuda@xxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: timothytomlinson <timothytomlinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: chrysler300 <chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Jun 9, 2017 10:26 pm
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Jack Wiltse's 300-D

I flew up to inspect this car when I first heard about it.  The paint job on the outside is nice.  The interior is very original.  The dash had some serious warping on the passenger side.  The seats are very worn.  Underneath is very original.  Motor wasn’t pulled when repainted, so there is a difference in paint color from outside to under hood.  It’s a hard car to value, but I don’t see it as being near the 40k mark.  I think it’s substantially below that honestly.  The process is quite odd for buying the car.  Once they had the title, putting on eBay or similar would have likely yielded the best result.

Mike
300 C-D-E-F-F-G-G-L