RE: [Chrysler300] NN paint code

Paint codes for all letter cars and a bunch of others may be found at:  http://www.jholst.net/paint-codes/index.php          NN shows up as a dark gray metallic in the 1960 and 1961 charts and is named Executive Gray Poly.

Silver 300 Special paint is coded 22.  On the data plate it is shown as 229 under PNT, the 9 probably being for the black vinyl top.  On the window sticker it shows as 221 indicating top and bottom are paint code 2, the typical 1 means it is not a two-tone.  The 1964 Ditzler paint chip sheet shows 22-1 and 22-9 as Silver Mist Poly.  The 1965 Ditzler Paint Code has the Silver Mist Poly as code NN with the same Ditzler number (32398) as the ’64 Silver 300 Specials.  Probably the same paint code on ’65 Barracuda’s and other MoPar’s.

The rest of the story:  On the Silver 300 Special data plates there is a 5 under the Z defining the 635 option of the Canopy Molding Roof—present on two-tone New Yorker 4-dr sedans & 4DHT’s, Salons and Silver Specials.  The exact wording from a 1964 Chrysler 300 window sticker:

SILVER 300 PACKAGE                                                                          $71.80

INCL- SPECIAL PAINT, CANOPY MOLDING, VINYL ROOF

My Nebraska friend reports his Silver 300 Sport also has the heavy rubber and aluminum-strip heel plates fastened to the black carpet.  My limited data indicates other Sport models only have the flat rubber heel plates—with or without a console.  I’d be interested in hearing what others have for heel plates on the front floors of their 1964 300 Sport models with consoles—especially Silver 300 Package Sports.

So, it appears that Silver Mist Poly was specially-formulated in 1964 for the Silver 300 Specials and then carried over for general consumption in 1965.  It was coded 22 in 1964 and NN in 1965.  A pretty color—VERRY COMMON in CA these days, although all the silver/gray poly’s are slightly different.

Hi-ho, Silver, away!  Get’um up Sport!

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA (Warming up to the 90’s by Saturday)