RE: [Chrysler300] Problems with AAJ power disc brakes on a C300

RE: [Chrysler300] Problems with AAJ power disc brakes on a C300

The big rubber diaphragm inside the one-year-only Kelsey-Hayes power brake boosters on 1955 MoPars is subject to deterioration and rupture.  On a good day, these boosters do not work so well.  There is a reason for that 9-inch wide brake pedal.  Of course, C300 boosters are significantly different from 300C boosters but are sensitive to end clearance on the rod.  Clevis to firewall specification is in 1/64ths.  Fluid can also accumulate in the booster unless the vacuum connection is facing downward.  Disc brakes may require more fluid displacement from the MC.  The ’55 MC’s worked differently with a metal piston displacing fluid from a pressurized cylinder to the system.  Never caught on.  See:  http://www.jholst.net/55-service-manual/brakes.pdf     Page 96.

I believe proportioning valves are essentially variable orifices and may not work so well if set really tight.  “normal” master cylinders have a device referred to as a “check valve’ in the outlet to hold a little pressure on the brake shoes with no foot pressure on the pedal.  This is to minimize moist are migrating back into the wheel cylinders.  I don’t know if such a device is fitted to the K-H MC but it could be part of the problem.

Many may be interested in a successful front (?) disc brake conversion for ’55 C-300’s.  Please keep us posted as to the details necessary to achieve proper operation.

Rich barber

Brentwood, CA