RE: [Chrysler300] G choke thermostats/ carb gaskets

Easy to make the rod? You can drill a small hole in a proper od metal rod (welding rod), shape in vise with hammer ,  put a tiny cotter pin and side washer in it ; some old carb rods were made like that---what I did on dart, used SS welding rod. Better than new . Best not to turn thermo spring at center mount ..adjust or deflect it  to fit with stock length rod. I turned spring once it does not open at right rate then.--- That might be some kind of factory setting . Or machine shop to cut the groove in rod if fussy and want that with hair pin or c clip. .  Which Dodge truck and engine thermo coil fit in the pot? Good info to share ...!

-----Original Message-----
From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of 'Rick Vitek' rpvitek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 1:16 PM
To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chrysler300] G choke thermostats/ carb gaskets

As I work my way through the induction system my latest challenge is the choke thermostats. One is the correct part. The other is from another application with a different cup/pot that doesn’t fit right in the manifold  and where the previous mechanic cut off the cover’s “hump” above manifold level to get it to fit below the linkage. With two different thermostats the carb chokes don’t open at the same times/rates.

Are repros made of the thermostats? Thanks to the efforts of other club members I know the pots and gaskets are available. I’m not yet ready to go to manual chokes. I’m ok with going with a part from another application if someone knows of one. Of course I’ll have to replace both in that situation for balance. I know some other Carter thermostats fit in the correct pot. I took one off my Dodge truck and it fit properly in the pot but the linkage rod was too short. Are replacement linkage rods available, e.g. from carb rebuilders? A quick look on the net didn’t make this obvious.

One last question concerns the carb mounting gasket. There are the thin pliable ones and the thicker (approx 1/8 inch plus) stiff cardboard ones. Going between them may involve choke length adjustments. Which gasket, if either, is “correct” for mounting the carbs?

As always, thanks in advance.

.

Image removed by sender.
Image removed by sender.