RE: [Chrysler300] 61 heater switch rebuild

RE: [Chrysler300] 61 heater switch rebuild

Hi, this is John, different things totally here, causing confusion ; valve JC fixes is water control for heater,--- I think she means the electrical/vacuum, push button dash switch . We have to look at it first, (email Keith) as they can melt, from a bad electrical contact, (burned or deformed on one side) means you might need a part switch with a good white plastic case. Some discoloration ok, but not deformed . Often people break off the vacuum nipples by wiggling the vacuum plug trying to get it off (can be fixed with brass tubing, per nipple) but not practical for say 5 broken off nipples. Again, leads to need for parts switch. If you ever work on one, you MUST pull straight back undo clips , or do this out of car, pry gently so it goes straight back. . Any wiggling side to side breaks the tiny plastic nipples off.

Inside the switch body are stiff notched fiber cams that make the switch buttons pop back out and make the mechanism slide inside. These cams fall apart, deform and wear out. We made new ones of machined delrin engineering plastic, (which you can buy from us, and do this yourself), but it is tricky to do ,and case is melted at factory at plastic rivets to seal it (we grind off and replace the rivets with tiny screws) .

Not a profit making endeavor I assure you, but I had to do this for many F’s I owned with the heater switch problem ..New ones command terrific $ ( have seen 450) if you can find one and all used ones have the problem to one degree or another ; plus NOS ones still have fiber cams

Keith Simons is doing this now, as J-Y in Canada got too busy at his work to continue it. Takes hours per switch. The whole project was a joint effort by J-Y and me , so far good success, maybe 90% + ;

Once we made and designed much better cams , felt we should share them !

We are willing to pay 15$ for parts source switches that are not burned,  with good nipples, or one broken, but worn out, 5$ with more broken nipples  ; it is a problem now. We believe same switch , 60-62 at least, AC or not (2 different switches)

John