RE: [Chrysler300] Rear Axle end play shims

Rich, later shims might be different bearing size, ID or OD, not just thickness. I do not know that for sure ; at some point they changed to ball bearings, from the timkens, right? It was still 8 3/4 but axle design evolved. I do know a 70 Challenger rear almost bolts into an F, fixes about 10 problems--tapered hubs, better larger brakes,  E brakes,  trans brake goes , 727 with later U joints etc

-----Original Message-----
From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of 'Rich Barber' c300@xxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2015 10:08 PM
To: 'Carl Westman'; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Rear Axle end play shims

My mechanic took one of the shims from an axle and had several more prepared from various shim stock thicknesses by a machinist.  That was on our ’55 as I elected to replace the rear wheel bearings while doing the rear brakes.  Re-assembly required different thicknesses from those shims that came out in order to achieve the specified clearances.   Proper assembly to specification with no shims seems to be unlikely.

If there is a good source of these, great—otherwise they might be an item to reproduce.  The parts manuals show these shims to be available in 0.005”, 0.012” and 0.030” and having the same part numbers for full-size ’55-’62 Plymouths, Dodges, Desoto's and Chryslers.  The ’63 – ’65 cars have shims of the same thickness listed, but with different part numbers.

A little study of the available combinations of various permutations and combinations of the three shim thicknesses reveals shim-packs of 0.020”-0.044” can be made up to the nearest 0.001” or 0.002”; from 0.044” and beyond, to the nearest 0.001” and under 0.022”, the only combinations are: 0.005", 0.010", 0.012", 0.015", 0.017" and 0.020".

300K'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA