[Chrysler300] J cylinder head exhaust seats

[Chrysler300] J cylinder head exhaust seats

Hello group, The machine shop that is working on my J heads asked me if there is enough casting meat to put hardened exhaust inserts in the combustion chambers with the large 300J 1.74 valve diameter? They are reluctant to take a chance on not knowing if anyone has done the inserts on the 557 J head casting and then ruining my rare parts by breaking into the cooling jacket.  The senior guy in the machine shop has some experience on a 413 max wedge engine when they went to a 1.81 valve (he does not recall the casting number of those heads) and broke into the jacket when they did the inserts, since the heads were not as valuable to him, He just sourced a set of 915’s that were of a later casting and installed the large 1.81 seats into them without a problem. The factory had apparently changed the mold casting by then to provide more material in that area that allowed them to install the hardened seat.  I do not want to run any type of fuel additive as I would like to have the inserts added to my heads but of course will not do the inserts if there is a chance that the 557’s will be damaged during the process.  Has anyone on the server installed hardened seats in a J?

Jamie  Hyde

585-466-0067 cell

Posted by: Jamie Hyde <Jamie.Hyde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>