RE: [Chrysler300] PP_1 Toreador Red 1960 300F

RE: [Chrysler300] PP_1 Toreador Red 1960 300F

FYI,

I found that the plain non - metallic red on some (most?)  letter cars is very close to ~2000 Jeep red; may be a Chrysler corporate red used under various names? This by noting an  00 JEEP Cherokee with a beautiful non metallic red finish that looked just like letter cars I have seen—or want them to look like.  ; and noting paint code off the JEEP data plate, which gets you modern paint . Once before I painted a red F coupe with a similar color,  taken from Mack fire truck paint code  , in Imron (dates me) ; later, did not like Imron look of obvious thick clear over base . Did not want metallic. I have a D convert painted that ~00 JEEP color, looks great.

Add in the fact that any color “reference” chips from back then are truly suspect. They will fade /change

The metallics in 1960 (NEW!!) were a big deal across Chrysler corp, metallic greens, reds and blues on 60 darts etc; but later on,  the plain red, other plain colors  returned. Some like the metallics. Name your poison. I bought a new dart coupe in 1960,went with black, did not like “the Frosty colors” as we called them back then, in 1960.   One custom color F I have has the special order paint plate, is painted that metallic rose/purply pink  frosty metallic color they had, circa 59-60, although original registration papers say Terracotta. Once I came across a real terracotta F ,  it is not that Rose color at all…and is not special order.  But back in 1970, I did not know that . Is there a code for Terracotta? That is a tough one.

I think , where the cars could be ordered in special colors (hot potato) , when one seeks “originality” ,and a new paint job,  one is matching the color to a number on a metal plate. One might ask why do this—if that numbered color does not do it for you? To get more $ later, maybe ? And in the interim the color of your own car does not do it for you? (smile at that) And what color it really is,  is at best, suspect in 2014. Why I did the solid JEEP - like red,  on the F coupe back in 80’s. Could have been ordered any color, by someone caring enough to chase that path.

That being said , current C convert being worked on is matched to original Gauguin red by shop,  by hand----by looking under tail light mount (but is it faded? Don’t know-- but it matches). Both that shop and the very  best one around Boston ( Clark’s Auto Body/ Pepa Hill Customs) say the machines really do NOT do a good job---been my experience too.  ; paint brand matters too, with latter shop only using Sikkens (euro) ; he says Sikkens has been fighting with whole water thing a long time over there, comes out “better” –quite opinionated on that, especially about black.  . He matched Chrysler orange almost perfectly by eye after machine came out light (repair on Barracuda); he has a room for doing this .  ; Pepa Hill does those wild HD bike flame , “ghost” and fade jobs, really knows paint, and painting –5-10 custom big Harley bikes there at any one time, several full car restorations. . (check website) .

No opinions at all , just information gathered in school of hard knocks ….

Meantime, have noticed Toyota and Nissan  have really good paint and colors. Just do not tell anybody where it came from.