Re: [Chrysler300] 300H distributor

Thanks Gary,
I can not tell you how pleased I was with the work of The Philbin Group. The distributor looks like a piece of art now!
I paid $145.
They did a complete rebuild. New vac capsule (only if needed, sometimes they rebuild it Mark said)
New points, capacitor, breaker plate (I think).Nice paint job, carefully masking off  the id plate.
New interconnect wire between the points.
Run tested, dwell set etc.

Mark said he's been doing distributors for 30 years.
I was frankly surprised at what a difference it made.

 I am still "adjusting" the idle of the engine. I have been able to adjust the fast idle way down  so the engine starts
ok, idles a little fast cold and then comes off  fast idle as it should then idles at a steady 650 hot or cold(ish).

However, the idle is not as smooth as I would like for it to be. I "feel" (tailpipe listening) like there are some valves too tight.
I recalled a helper one weekend who was a self styled expert, and who ruined all my AFB linkages by adjusting them with pliers-also adjusted my valves for me. I have a Barnes cam which is specially ground to lower the compression of the engine, and I rcall the Barnes valve clearances are substantially different that the stock clearances. I think he ended up using the factory clearances  with the Barnes cam. So, my next step  is to remove all the plugs (J14Y) and while the plugs are out. set all the valves to Barnes specified  clearances , so at least I'll KNOW that's right. Next I'll put my set of new J12Y plugs in properly gapped. Then. I plan on checking the aiur volume between the two carbs, and adjust idle bypass screw to get that evened out, get the rpm right again and set all 4  idle richness screws, which I do not think I have right yet as the car stalls too easil backing out of my uphill driveway cold.

Best, Mike Moore