RE: [Chrysler300] temperature gauge actual temperatures

RE: [Chrysler300] temperature gauge actual temperatures

You would be surprised how many (not car people) thought that if their car ran hot and there was any possibility that the cause was a stuck t-stat, they would just run without it. The short circuit overheating from having no t-stat pertains to st 6 and st 8 cars with certain by-pass set up. (internal vs external) http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m42l343kocyoYmu_auimtAQ.jpg  and

…”many of the 1950s water outlets have bypasses built into the housing. This is also true of most of the flathead 6 & 8 inline engines. If you plan to change to a different water outlet on these engines it is important to know what the bypass did and is changing to a non-bypass water outlet going to have an adverse effect. Bypasses are used on these engines mostly to keep from having hot spots in the cooling jacket as the engine comes up to temperature because the bypass recirculates the water in the engine. They are also used were the winter temperatures are very cold so the heater warms up faster. In addition some of the thermostats were constructed to work in conjunction with the water outlet’s bypass and use a different size Thermostat….”

…Jack

Jack Boyle

(913) 544 4650

Enjoying the same C-300 since 1967