From: mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx
To: jackcboyle@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: retromobilia@xxxxxxxxxxx, jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tonysru2@xxxxxxxxxxx, chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, May 5, 2014 11:19:48 AM
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] temperature gauge actual temperatures

I've never seen a cooling system design that provided for a thermostat that somehow blocked, or at even restricted bypass coolant flow as the thermostat opens.  That said I'm unable to reason that it's possible for the engine temp to be higher without an installed thermostat than operating in the same condition with a thermostat.  Yes, I run all of my equipment with the appropriate thermostat to aid in fast warm-up and to prevent sustained operation at low operating temperatures.  Please note that most very old equipment especially tractors, old industrial engines, and even many old cars were never equipped with thermostats---probably one of the main reasons for much of the sludge buildup that we don't often see in the oil nowadays.

Marshall Goodknight